Open floor plans are one of the hottest trending custom home designs. They provide families with an open environment, so no matter what room you’re in, you can still be with each member of the family. However, many people looking to build their custom home are concerned that open floor plans aren’t as energy efficient as other floor plan options. The great thing about building a custom home is that you have the opportunity to increase the home’s energy efficiency no matter what style of floor plan you choose.
As you work with your custom home builder, be sure you include these features to make your new home energy efficient:
- Insulation: When it comes to building a new home, one of the most important steps you can take to making the home energy efficient is quality insulation. It doesn’t matter what style of home you build, proper insulation of your attic and your exterior walls goes a long way in keeping your home cool during hot months and warm during cool months.
- Efficient Windows: One of the most important elements of any energy efficient home is having the right windows. An open floor plan often comes with more windows to allow natural light to flow freely throughout the house. Having Energy-Star certified windows will help boost the efficiency of your home.
- Upgraded Appliances: A huge benefit of building a new home is new, upgraded appliances. Newer appliances are built to reduce the amount of electricity, and water needed to operate them which increases the overall efficiency of your home.
- Switch to Fluorescent Bulbs: You may not like the upfront cost of fluorescent bulbs, but making the switch will help you save in the long run. Making the switch to fluorescent will help keep your energy bills down because they require less power to light up your room. Plus, fluorescent bulbs last longer than other options.
- Use Mother Nature: Trees not only look great in yards, but they help save money. The shade that trees and large shrubs provide go a long way in blocking out the sun during summer and allow the heat from the sun in during winter, which means you won’t spend as much trying to cool or heat your home.
Building a home with an open floor plan is exciting for every family, but it’s important to keep in mind how you can make your home as efficient as possible. Using some of the suggestions above, a custom home builders Zionsville can help you can save money and keep your home efficient.
Are you ready to build your open floor custom home? The custom home builders at Carrington Homes are ready to hear your ideas!