Look outside. Indiana winters are not the prettiest when there is no snow on the ground. In fact, the landscape can be downright depressing. However, there is hope. It won’t be winter forever. Get through this year’s winter with a new tactic: start designing your backyard landscaping projects before the ground thaws!
Winter seems to change to summer very quickly in Indiana. You likely have big plans for your outdoor living spaces, but by the time the weather is ready to cooperate with outdoor work, you are overwhelmed with maintenance like yard mowing, mulching, and basic landscaping duties. Before you know it, another year has gone by and you are back in your PJs, sipping cocoa by the fireplace, and looking at the same old back yard. Let’s fix it. Here’s why now is the time to be thinking about outdoor remodeling projects:
- 1. Your canvas is in a perfect condition to be molded. When you do an indoor remodeling project, you start by clearing out the old and starting with the studs and drywall - a blank canvas. Good news: mother nature did most of the work for you. Your outdoor canvas is ready to be beautified.
- 2. You have time to dream! It gets dark early and nobody wants to be outside. Let’s fill the time with some daydreaming and wishlists. Right now, start an inspiration board. Do it online from a site like Houzz.com or start an old-school magazine picture and thumbtack board. The goal: look at tons of pictures and concentrate on filling the board with examples of different outdoor styles you like. Don’t worry if you are not planning on putting in a pool, but LOVE the look of an infinity pool overlooking the Haleakala Crater. Put it on the board. This about style.
- 3. Your new inspiration board will bring life to your gray surroundings. Looking at your inspiration board every day will allow a little bit of sunshine to creep into your life during the bleak days and early nights. You need this.
- 4. You have time to find the few projects that will have the most impact on your living area. Perhaps it is an outdoor kitchen with a killer bar. Maybe it’s a sunroom addition. How about a new patio. Or maybe it’s time to put in more windows to boost the attraction of the house from the yard. So many options, you’ll be glad you started in January!
- 5. You can easily schedule time to speak with experts in the field. You’ll likely find there are discounts available since everyone wants to start the year with a fully booked schedule. Now is your chance to negotiate the best deals!
- 6. Your excitement and anticipation will push you through many a cold evening!
We wish you all the best this winter and can’t wait to hear what you come up with!