When it comes time to build your custom home, you’ll find that there are a lot more decisions involved than what you originally thought. For example, you want wood floors, but what kind of wood floors? Reclaimed wood? Hardwood? Bamboo? The options for wood floors are almost endless, how do you decide what’s best for your custom home? Deciding on the right custom home upgrades not only plays a huge role in the aesthetics of your home, but impact things like resale value, comfort, and overall functionality of your home.
How to Choose Custom Home Upgrades
When it comes to selecting your custom home upgrades, you don’t want to just choose the flashiest, trendiest, most popular upgrades. You need to consider your options and choose the upgrades that make the most sense.
- 1. Think about the future. Sure, you want a home you love immediately, but you also have to consider the future. Is your family going to grow soon or maybe downsize? Is the area you’re building in growing quickly? Will you enjoy that growth? Will this upgrade help you or hurt you if you go to sell your home someday?
- 2. Think about your lifestyle. While it’s important to consider the future, you also want to consider custom home upgrades that make sense for your current lifestyle. Upgrades that make life easier will be appreciated in the long run.
- 3. Think about costs. Budgets are never fun, but they’re important to consider with your custom home. Upgrades are also a place to consider expanding your budget. You need to think about costs now, sure, but you also have to consider resale value and appreciation for your upgrades.
Custom Home Upgrades to Consider
If you are considering upgrades for your custom home, here are a few of the most important ones for your future home:
- 1. Lot Upgrades: You only have one chance to choose your custom home lot. Once you build your home, it’s permanent. Consider things like school corporation, size of the property, nearby roads, and access to other amenities. It might make sense to splurge a little and get the lot that you really want.
- 2. Kitchen Upgrades: Appliances are great upgrades, but they aren’t as lasting as other possible upgrades. If you really want the high-end stainless steel appliances, go for it. However, more important upgrades are things like extra large or additional cabinets, upgraded cabinet materials and drawer hardware, or even a workhorse island.
- 3. Bathroom Upgrades: Extra large cabinets in bathrooms are another great upgrade for your home, but also consider upgrading the tile in your flooring and in the shower. You want something that will stand the test of time in durability and in aesthetics. Also consider separate shower/tub combinations. When it comes to resale, buyers will end up being more interested in an amazing shower than a tub/shower combination setup.
- 4. Flooring Upgrades: Investing in flooring now will save you the hassle of replacing the floor later on. Opt for nicer, more durable flooring options that buyers will be interested in, if and when you go to sell your home. Consider reclaimed woods, tile, and high-end carpets for your custom home.
When it comes time to choose your custom home upgrades, you need to make sure your home builder is looking out for your current and future interests. A good custom home builder will help steer you in the right direction. At Carrington Homes, we always focus on the details that make a house a home. We’re there with our clients as they choose the upgrades for their homes. Are you ready to get started with your custom home, our builders are ready to help! Contact us today.